"Being a parent is one of the toughest — and most rewarding — jobs for which we receive the least amount of training," says psychotherapist and life coach Antoinette Giacobbe. "Apart from providing a warm, secure and loving home for your child, one of your most important tasks is to lay the foundation of positive self-confidence for your children as they develop into self-confident adults."
Click on one of the following letters and read Antoinette's expert advice on how to help your children be healthy, happy and confident.
A is for "pay Attention"
The highest form of respect is to listen. Try to listen to what your kids have to say and be genuinely interested in their lives. This requires that you stop what you're doing and not just hear them, but really listen. As your children feel accepted, they feel supported and can start to build a good base of self worth.
Click here to print out a copy of Antoinette's entire ABCs to raising happy, confident children.
You can also use these links to other resources mentioned in this interactive tool by using the following links:
- Find activities for the entire family with our Family Fitness Match Game
- Learn to set realistic goals
- Get your kids excited about fitness and learn how to join them in the fun
- Read this advice about journaling and all its benefits
- Take laughing seriously
- Find out if school is causing stress in your kids and what to do about it.
- Try our family nutrition quiz!
- Find out how to instill a positive body image in your children.
- Get great fast and tasty breakfast and lunch ideas.
- Give every room in house a dose of wellness with the interactive Be well where you dwell activity.